Sunday, November 13, 2011

DIY: Autumn-inspired dresser

So I bought a heinous dresser when I first moved to Jasper, with the intention of refinishing it and I finally got around to it this weekend. I spent Saturday evening listening to Risk (an amazing podcast, that everyone should check out) and sanding the crap out of the thing with my first ever power tool -- a palm sander. I went through two packs of sandpaper, inhaled an unfortunate amount of dust (I'm still blowing brown, gritty snot) and found myself sufficiently exhausted by the time the job was done. Then Sunday, I spent the entire day priming and painting.

Here are the before and after photos:


The only thing I wish I could fix is the chunk missing from the corner of the orange drawer. I'll attempt to figure that out asap. All things considered, though, I'm pretty happy with the results.

And that wasn't even the only project I competed this weekend. I also made some cute fridge magnets.



The cloud I found on a blog called Happy Serendipity. It was a brooch, but I thought it would make a cute magnet. To make it, I used hot glue to affix one magnet to the back of the cloud and then another one on each strand of buttons, so it can hold numerous things at once.

The green and orange felt rose buds were on a blog called You Seriously Made That? But they were fish hook-style earrings. I also made some that will become stud earrings, but I thought they would also do well as colourful magnets.

So, that was my weekend. Oh yeah! I also went to see The Mahones Friday night. We even had the band over for a few drinks after the show. It was quite the evening. I didn't end up in bed until 5 a.m., while Ian and the band were up until at least 6:30 a.m. With that in mind, I'm pretty impressed with my accomplishments this weekend. I'd say it was a pretty solid start to the winter of DIY.

No comments:

Post a Comment