Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Etsy. Etsy. Etsy.

A felt flower hair clip ala me!
Breaking news! That is unless you’re my Facebook friend, anyway.
I’m starting an Etsy store. For those of you who don’t know, Etsy is “your place to buy and sell all things handmade, vintage, and supplies” online. In other words, it’s the biggest online shopping time-suck since eBay.
As you all know, I've dubbed this the winter of DIY, so I've been crafting up a storm. And because I’m so proud of my many creations, I’ve been posting pictures of them on Facebook and Twitter, which has led to all kinds of positive feedback, including friends asking to purchase my goods.
I thought that was pretty exciting on its own, but when one of my girlfriends asked that I make two hair clips, two magnets and two headbands for her, I realized there might be more to this idea of selling my goods than just targeting my friends.
I was also inspired to dive headfirst into entrepreneurship after meeting an amazing jewelry-artist in Jasper, who sells her goods in a few stores in town. We spent an entire day crafting together last weekend and she told me the money she makes through jewelry sales allows her the luxury of travelling for a month a year.
Cozy wool headband handcrafted by me!
Now that sounds pretty good, right? I mean, I’m crafting anyway, I might as well make some money while I’m doing it. Plus, I’m making more than I could ever use myself.
It’s not like I need 15 different felt flower hair clips. I’m sure I could live with just two or three select colours.
I also don’t need a dozen wool headbands to keep my ears warm this winter. I figure if I make two, one to match each of my jackets, I’ll probably get by just nicely. And the same goes for brooches and purse embellishments. So anyway, I made the decision to start my store on Monday afternoon. That evening,
after work, I went home and crafted for hours to ensure I’ll have
enough items to get myself off to a solid start.
I plan to have the store open this weekend. So far, my largest set back is deciding on a name. It’s such a big commitment. I don’t want to chose the wrong thing, or regret my choice when I think of something better.
Another hair clip. (My favourite.)
I was thinking Space Gerbil Accessories.

I’m kidding.

I didn’t honestly give that an honest thought. Although I still haven’t thought of anything better than that.
So anyway, I have my fingers crossed that inspiration will strike in the next couple of days, allowing me to actually launch before it gets so close to Christmas that people don’t want to order gifts online.
If not, Space Gerbil might just have to do.
Anyone out there have any better ideas? I'd gladly take any suggestions.

2 comments:

  1. Gnomey Goods....and it has past personal meaning! Bahahaha

    ReplyDelete