Saturday, March 10, 2012

Back from the dead

OK, maybe "back from the dead" is a bit of an exaggeration, but I have been sick. So sick that the thought of sitting down to blog made me cringe. But, I'm all better now. My sinus headaches are gone and I can officially function like a healthy person again. (Wahoo!)

Now, although I've been sick and miserable and drippy, that hasn't stopped me from crafting. Actually I spent my sick afternoon off work watching the entire third season of Arrested Development while making a needle book.
Check it out:



To make it, I used some of my scrap felt. I've been trying to come up with projects to use all the little bits and pieces, so they don't go to waste and so they don't clutter up my craft supplies.

If you want to make you're own needle book, here's what you do:

First cut a 5.5 inch by 3.5 inch piece of felt. That will be the main piece of the book. Then cut a 5.5 inch by 1.75 inch piece for the inside pocket. The importance of the pocket is that it gives you something to put your needles through, so they're not seen on the outside of the book. I also left the top of the beige felt open so that I can tuck thread in the pocket if there's still some left on my needle.

Once your pieces are cut, the first step is to sew your button in place. Your knot and stitches on the inside will later be covered by the pocket, so feel free to do a number of stitches to ensure it's sturdy.

Next, place the pocket along the bottom of the book and start stitching around it. You'll notice in my last photo, I have a loop of elastic. That is my fastener. It fits around the owl button. To put that in place, I just tucked it in between the two pieces of felt until the stitching around the pocket was done. Then I put a dab of hot glue beneath it to keep it in place. The reason I did that after the stitching was done is to ensure I could tuck the remaining thread into the pocket, so it's out of sight.

When the pocket is all stitched up and the elastic is in place, move onto stitching the rest of the book. I chose a separate colour only because I ran out of the beige. So feel free to use one colour or to experiment with many.

Once the whole book is stitched, you're ready to place your needles inside.

Happy crafting everyone.

In my next post, I'll show you what I made for St. Patrick's Day and Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment