Thursday, March 29, 2012

A peek inside my closet


Anyone who knows me well knows that I have some obsessive compulsive tendencies. I write a lot of lists. (In journalism school one of my friends suggested I need a list for all of my lists.) I lay out my outfit the night before, complete with accessories. (The pressure of doing it in the morning when I'm under strict time constraints stresses me right out.) I like my house to be just so, with very little junk lying around.  (And if junk has to be there, I prefer it to be neatly stacked and parallel with whatever it's sitting on.) I can't stand crumbs on the counter. I hate to leave dishes for more than a day. I hate it when something is moved out of its proper place without being returned promptly after use.
Now, I don't lock the door 10 times before walking away or check the oven 100 times a day and I'm definitely nothing like Jack Nicholson in As Good As It Gets, so I wouldn't say I have OCD or anything, but I definitely like things the way I like things.

Which brings me to my closet. I organize it the same way Value Village does. I think that would be more weird if I hadn't worked there for two years, but even though I did, I think it's probably still pretty weird to most people. Am I weird?


For those non-Value Village shoppers out there, this is how it's done: First you split your clothes up into what they are. For example, you put all of your cardigans together, all of your hoodies together, all of your long sleeve shirts together, all of your button up dress shirts together, all of you T-shirts together, all of your jeans together, all of your dress pants together, all of your skirts together, all of your dresses together, and so on and so forth. From there, you organize each category by the Value Village colour chart: yellow, orange, red, pink, purple, green, blue, beige, brown, grey, black, white. If a shirt has more than one colour in it, you chose the colour that is on the shoulder because that's the one you will see poking out of your closet.


Now, each Value Village store is laid out differently, so I don't necessarily have each category laid out in the Value Village way. Rather, I put them in the order that suits the season or what I'm wearing at that point in time. So, right now, my closet starts on the far left with hoodies, then cardigans, tank tops, long sleeve sweaters, dress shirts, long sleeve shirts, T-shirts, jeans, dress pants, skirts, dresses, tights, shorts and finally purses on the far right. The items on the ends of my closet are the hardest to access, so that's where my least worn clothes go. The clothes in the centre are the clothes I wear the most. Makes sense, right? It's not that weird. It just seems smart and practical, and, to be honest, the idea of having my closet any other way makes my whole body tense up the same way it does when someone runs their nails down a chalkboard. So I figure, I'll stick with what I know to save myself that discomfort. That way I look can look relaxed and carefree, like this:


Do you have a system for organizing your closet, or is it complete mayhem?

8 comments:

  1. I'm the same way. All long sleeves top left, short sleeves/tanks top right, pants bottom left and skirts bottom right. From there I sort them by sleeve length and style. Printed cardigans, solid cardigans, long sleeved collared (solid and prints) etc. I don't really sort by color, but I do sort by what they're for. Tees all together, work blouses, casual blouses, etc etc. See my post below for what I mean... :)

    http://thesecondhandmagpie.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2012-03-18T00:20:00-05:00&max-results=7&start=8&by-date=false

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha. I had to convince my boyfriend to give me an entire closet too. He uses the one in his office. There is no way to make one tiny closet work for two people. I refuse to even try!

      Delete
  2. i organize my closet by color! but you have a good system too. i should really organize my closet by what i wear and what i don't, haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It just makes me happy to hear that other people organize their closets. I have seen some pretty pitiful ones that had me believing I was a bit of an anomaly.

      Delete
  3. Totally the exact same way I organize my closet!! I had no idea it was the Value Village method! Gotta sort by style, then colour, then frequency of use! I usually switch it up by season, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it just make picking an outfit so delightful when you know where everything is and you don't have to go digging. I truly think an organized closet makes for peace of mind.

      Delete
  4. I'm also just like you, but as my wardobe is tiny compared to yours, my categories aren't that many: dresses, button-up shirts, rest of tops, skirts, tops and trousers. And then into colours. That has made me realise I have way too many blue dresses (10! 8 of which are navy blue!). It's all my fault... I shouldn't have so many dresses!

    By the way, I’m hosting a giveaway in my blog: a very unique totebag from Romerobags. Feel free to participate in http://diaryofamoderndaylady.blogspot.com/2012/03/modern-day-lady-first-giveaway.html . Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL this is my system too! Just like Value Village. Hehe

    ReplyDelete