Thursday, March 22, 2012

What to wear: On a first date

Let me preface this, my very first outfit post and What to Wear feature, by saying this is not the outfit I wore on my first date with the boyfriend. It wouldn't have worked in the slightest for that occasion.
Our first date included Ian picking me up from a frozen lake, where I was ice skating in 40 below temperatures, and taking me to his parents' house to play Lego and drink beer.
No joke, that was our first official date. And to be honest, it was actually pretty solid. His dad made us a cheese platter and when we finished our Lego creations, which we built while sprawled out on the basement floor, we brought them upstairs to show off to the 'rents. How romantic! Oh yeah, I guess I should mention that this happened a year and a half ago and not when we were eight, but then again the beer should give that away. So the moral of the story is, Lego dates make for long lasting relationships. Try it out for yourself.

Anyway, without further adieu, this is what I would wear on a first date, or any date for that matter.





From top to bottom:
Earrings: Saout (Etsy)
Dress: Pink Martini (Bombshell in Jasper, AB)
Tights: Value Village Halloween collection
(VV is seriously the best place to get colourful tights on the cheap. I highly recommend it!)
Shoes: $10 from Ardene

Tips for dressing for a first date:
- Wear something you're comfortable in. You don't want to be adjusting your outfit all night because then you'll feel self conscious, which will make you sweaty and nervous (or is that just me?).
- Wear something that shows your personality.
- Don't overdo it with the makeup, unless your first date is on Halloween or you're going to a masquerade party or something like that. Natural is always better. I try to keep my makeup to a minimum. I'm a foundation, blush and mascara kind of girl.
- Find out what you're doing in advance so you can dress for the occasion. You don't want to show up in a fancy dress, only to find out you're going to a petting zoo.

In our next post, Merry Alana, Jilly BeansTALK and I will show you what to wear for Easter. We'll post that on April 5. So stay tuned! If you want to join in the What to Wear fun, send us an email.

Happy dating.

15 comments:

  1. You look amazing! I want to take you on a date. Too bad you live so far away :( So excited for your first outfit post - it's amazing! That dress is so cute and I love the red tights.

    ReplyDelete
  2. such a pretty dress and i LOVE the belt. I like that we all picked dresses for a first date, haha! glad you're aboard for the adventure :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love everything about this look! The way the colors in the dress work with all the accessories and your shoes are fantastic.

    Just found your blog via IFB, and I was amazed at how pretty the scenery behind you is! It's so picturesque. You're a lucky gal!

    Keep up the great work!

    -Caitlin (http://re-mix-her.tumblr.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Caitlin,

      Thanks so much for checking out my blog and for your nice words. I can't deny that I'm living in one of the most beautiful places on earth. The mountains are a fantastic muse.

      I'm following your blog now, so feel free to do the same.

      Thanks again!!

      ~N

      Delete
  4. i lurrrve the earrings!
    super cute :)
    fashionmeasmile.com
    X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica. I got them on Etsy. The store is really great. I also bought a mushroom necklace that I adore.

      Delete
  5. Hey!
    I found your blog on IFB :D
    love your outfit here... the floral dress is really cute with the tights! :)
    and you have beautiful eyeeees!

    feel free to visit my blog!
    thank you
    kiss!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yasmin. Thanks so much for stopping by and for your kind words. xx

      Delete
  6. Nicole, I have just discovered your blog and I’m so happy I did, because I absolutely love it! I really like your style and your DIY projects :) . You’ve got a new follower!

    Sara from A Modern-Day Lady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following, Sara. I'm glad to have you!
      Your blog is great too. I love your shorts in today's post. I'll be following you shortly!

      N.

      Delete
  7. Lovely outfit! Love the thights with the floral dress.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Nicol! OMG gorgeous photos... I wanna move to Canada! Your dress is gorgeous!! Your lego date sounds sweet... Maybe we could follow each other?
    xx
    http://junebiswas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi June. Thanks for checking out my blog. I followed yours with Google Friend Connect.
      Keep in touch!

      Delete
  9. Love your outfit! Where is the belt from??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The belt is from a shop in Jasper called Bombshell. It's my absolute favourite. I wear it with nearly everything.

      Delete