Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Delicious treats from the garden

This is the magical moment I've been waiting for since I planted my garden a month and a half ago. I mean, it's exciting to watch things grow, but there is just nothing better than the moment when you get to eat something straight out of the garden! Nom. Nom. Nom. Honest to goodness, when Ian and I went out to cut this broccoli, I was jumping around like someone who was about to wet themselves. (Maybe I was. Maybe I wasn't. Who needs to know?) And then, when I ate it, oh man, it was so glorious. I was grinning from ear-to-ear. It was literally the most broccoli-y broccoli I have ever tasted.

Photobucket

I didn't want to cook it because I didn't want to lose an ounce of flavour, so instead I made one of my old university staples: broccoli salad. Basically, all you do is cut the broccoli into bite-sized pieces, add some red grapes, crumbled feta cheese, ranch dressing and some toasted almonds, stir and then eat. It's such a delicious and refreshing salad. I literally ate it about three times a week while I was working on my masters. Sometimes I would even use cheddar if I ran out of feta. Yum.

So I bet you thought this post was going to be all about broccoli, right? Well, you're wrong!!

We also dove into the spinach and made the most amazing burgers of life. OK, I lied. I dove into the spinach and Ian made the most amazing burgers of life. (I'm so bad for taking credit for his culinary skills. He's the master of our kitchen and I'm his sous chef, end of story.)

PhotobucketThat's right folks, you're looking at a spinach and feta stuffed burger. Doesn't that look delicious? I can assure you that in this case, looks are far from deceiving. Let me tell you, this burger was amazing. In fact, it was better than amazing. It was one of the best burgers I've ever eaten. The spinach and feta added so much flavour. Yum! (I just finished dinner and still, writing this post has me salivating!)

How are your gardens doing? Have you made anything delicious with your produce?

11 comments:

  1. Oh yummy!

    xo-meg
    guppyandwhaleshark.blogspot.com
    twitter: cincy_cindrella

    ReplyDelete
  2. That broccoli salad sounds delicious..... I'm going to have to try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That burger is making me so hungry.. and I literally just ate agh! I wish I could plant something and not kill it within a week! haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Eee! These looks delicious. I really want to start a garden, it's just so hot here I'm not sure what would grow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that hamburger sounds so good, and its something I never would have thought of myself. I linked up to it from my blog today, hope it helps. And I just wanted to say thank you for button swapping with me. I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As much as I love fresh produce... I can't keep a garden to save my life. Still, your post is making me salivate, too! I must try that broccoli salad.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You! Both of these look delicious, you are killing me. I've made a broccoli salad with bacon and an apple cider vinegar mixture for the dressing before but that one, with the grapes, you might have mine beat! I've been trying to avoid adding heat to our tiny apartment with the stove, so this salad will come in handy. I'll be trying BOTH of these delicious looking dishes very soon! xo

    ReplyDelete
  8. yum..! they both look absolutely fresh and delish! :)

    dorothy
    http://theymaysaythatimadreamer.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh mannn, those salads and the veggie burger look so delicious! I have absolutely no green thumb, but this makes me want to give gardening a try!

    x
    Melissa @ Melicious

    ReplyDelete
  10. We had a big hail storm early this morning, so all my beautiful plants are looking mighty rough today! I had about 3 dinners worth of lettuce, and now I just have mush. I am very sad, but at least my tomatoes are still looking like they'll make it to the end of the season.

    That broccoli looks so good in that salad!

    ReplyDelete