Friday, November 23, 2012

My new home office

Photobucket So this is where I do most of my working these days. On any given weekday when I don't have a reason to leave the house, this is what I'll look like. I'm in a big cozy sweater, yoga pants or PJs, my hair is unwashed and undone and I'm generally sitting cross-legged. The couch and our big leather ottoman have become my workspaces. Some days, there are so many papers strewn about that you can't even see the couch cushions.

Photobucket

While I was in Edmonton a few weeks back, Ian moved a desk into the living room, so that I could have a proper workstation, but, for some reason, I always find myself drawn to the couch. I think part of it is that it's super cushy and cozy and the other part is it gives me a ton of room to spread out. The other thing is my desk is missing a proper chair. I'm currently using one that makes me sit too low for the desk. As a shorty, I find this to be a challenge with all chairs that don't have an adjustable height lever thingy.

Photobucket

So, anyway, what I do on this couch is call people for interviews, do research and write. Yesterday, my second edition of Snow Zone came out. If you're interested in reading about the snowball battle national championships or people wearing helmets on the ski hill, check it out. This week I'm working on what could be a pretty epic piece on Movember. I'll keep you posted if it pans out, you might just want to see it!

Photobucket

Remember how I was super nervous about working from home? Well, although I've had a few bad days of mad procrastination, I've actually done fairly well. I'm finishing my work on time and I've had my freelancers work edited and ready to go well before it needs to be. So, it turns out, I am capable of this whole working from home in my PJs thing. Yay!

UPDATE: AND, not only am I capable, I am totally taking advantage of the fact that I have an "office" to myself. How, you ask? Well, this morning, I've been celebrating good news with solo dance parties to bad '90s beats. Yup. I'm awesome! And, so is working from home.

Do you ever work from home? What's your workspace situation? Do you need a desk or can you sprawl out on the couch?

17 comments:

  1. Your workstation looks pretty epic :-) I don't think I've ever been that productive on a couch, though lord knows I try. Somehow Netflix always manages to get turned on for "background ambience" and then all work ceases to exist. I do have a pretty nifty studio room in our new apartment, though, that can get set up. I have my speakers in there so I use my laptop for Pandora, which is much more productive than Netflix. Also, professional snowball fights sound awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny, when I saw your 'pen-stache' I instantly thought Movember!
    Looks like a comfy work zone for sure... impressive you can stay disciplined and pull off the deadlines... I'd be napping I'm sure (read: crafting like a maniac). ;o)
    Now, get over here and enter my giveaway buddy! lol
    xx
    mel
    needle and nest design

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sofa looks SO BOMB. I don't think I would ever leave

    ReplyDelete
  4. I work from home part time, but I have to sit at a desk. I have a whole station set up. my laptop hooks into a "docking station" and I use a wide screen monitor and mouse/keyboard..then for my phone its also through my computer so i have to wear a headset when i make any calls. i know some people like to use their laptops when they work from home or when they do OT. but not me - i have really bad eyesight and working the type of work i do from my laptop just isnt very smart for me to try to do.

    i do have a crazy awesome leather chair that i use now. my brother-in-law works for different architects and builders - and it was a "sample" for a project he worked. why yes i'll take a fancy $800 chair for free! hahahah

    i've always been very disciplined so thats not an issue for me. i have a crazy work ethic and sometimes even work past my quiting time just to finish and wrap things up. my job is NO where near as cool as yours tho. i'm very envious of your job!

    happy working from home!
    xx
    t

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks so cosy! As does your cardigan :) I do my computer work sitting on my bed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dude. Yes. When I'm at home doing homework it definitely happens in my bed or on the couch. Why wouldn't I want be comfortable?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That couch looks amazingly comfy! I usually have an "office" day where I work from home. I use a big over-sized chair to work in. But I've found I can't have the TV on or before I know it, I'm watching it instead of using it as background noise. I also can't sit on the couch because it gets too comfy for me, and I feel like I need to lay down and take a nap. Sometimes I think it'd be neat to have a desk because I'd have an actual place to put everything, but then I realize I would probably never use it. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always end up working on my couch too - the only (unsolicted) advice I have is to be cautious of carpal tunnel. When I'm working on my couch too much I can really feel it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks so cozy!! I don't work from home but I do ditch my desk for the couch most of the time when I'm blogging or doing homework.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cardi is SO rad! Unfortunately whenever I work from home I sit at the table - I need a table.. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful photos you've made!

    xx

    WWW.CATWALKTOCASUAL.BLOGSPOT.COM

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it! I work from home, but need a desk for a lot of my design work... My laptop is old and I don't have the mouse control I need when I'm on the couch. I'll answer emails from my couch though!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Working from home is awesome! You're lucky you actually get paid for it. :P I've definitely found that when I'm working on my own things, I'm on the couch as much as possible because why not?

    ReplyDelete
  14. The couch looks so cozy! You’re right, Luka. Working at home is really awesome because nothing beats an office and a home rolled into one. Congratulations on your new home office, Nicole! =)

    Justin Bill

    ReplyDelete
  15. A cozy couch and a leather ottoman, even with just that and you still have a very comfy home office! Nice! Well, when you say office, it doesn’t necessarily mean that you need a room, a desk, and all the office supplies. Sometimes, a warm sofa like that is all you need. For as long as you able to deal with your work, no problemo! ;)

    Clayton Steadham

    ReplyDelete