Sunday, December 9, 2012

Salt dough ornaments

Photobucket

The best thing about salt dough ornaments is no matter how you paint them, they always end up looking like a kid did it. Or, at least, I think so. I whipped up a batch of these for the first time the other night. To be honest, when I started this little project I had no idea how long these ornaments need to bake. Did you know it takes THREE hours on low heat for the dough to loose all of its moisture? Three hours! By the time I took them out of the oven it was 10:30 and I was off to bed. (I know. I know. Insert old lady joke here.)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Despite the fact that my fun, one-evening project turned into a two-day one, I had a blast making and decorating these little ornaments. And, I'm actually pretty stoked on how they turned out.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Eligh and Isaiah are my little nephews. I thought it would be fun to make them their own personalized ornaments this year and maybe make it into a yearly tradition. I actually think it would be a lot of fun to do a craft project like this with them. I wonder if I could get a four-year-old and five-year-old to sit still long enough to paint one of these. Hmmm.. I might just have to give that a try next time I visit.

Have you ever made your own salt dough ornaments? If not, give it a try sometime. It's a ton of fun and they're super easy to make. The recipe is one cup salt, one cup flour and one cup of water added gradually until you reach a doughy – not sticky – consistency. Then, roll out the dough, cut them out and use a straw to make a hole in the top. And, finally, bake your ornaments at 100 C for three hours until they're completely dried out. After that, I left mine on the counter for a day and then I painted them with acrylic paint. Easy peasy.

Are you working on any Christmas ornaments? I'd love to see them. I could use some more ideas!

15 comments:

  1. I absolutely love these! I wonder if I could make them gluten-free (not that I'll eat them, but being around that much flower makes me nervous).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those came out so wonderfully! I used to always do those when I was little, they were so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its hard to say with boys but my niece is 3 and would sit down to do this and I think I will as gifts for her teachers :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look great! I love the addition of buttons to the christmas tree ornaments, so cute!

    Summer x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember making these in Guides when I was younger. Ah, the memories!

    http://thesehappyplaces.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yours look so much better than mine! I love the button idea :)

    I made some with my mom and younger sister the other week! Here's the post:
    http://abrokebride.blogspot.ca/2012/12/december-2-2012.html

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cute as a button.. well, a bunch of them! Fun ornament ideas! Soooo that's why yours worked eh? I guess the website I followed (kind of) said 350 degrees for an hour.. but ours were still 'spongey' after... yet, to paint them! ;o)
    Sooooo, how was your show??????????
    xx
    mel
    needle and nest

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't think I've made salt ornaments, but very similar ones made with cinnamon. They're dark, just like cinnamon, and smell good! I like how your salt ones turned out; the buttons on the trees are so cute! I'm going to try making scented pine cones soon, and I'll most likely do a post on them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Call me strange, but I've never even thought of using shaped cookie cutters to do this. I always think round for some reason.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They're so fun! I've only made felt decorations so far... robins and reindeer :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are completely adorable!!! I love the trees with the buttons. Maybe I'll suggest this as something fun to do with my family!

    ReplyDelete
  12. GAH, I wish I had more time in my day to do fun stuff like this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember making salt dough when I was a kid!! So fun! Christmas always reminds me of my childhood, so I think salt dough ornaments are fitting. I love the button ornaments. :)

    ReplyDelete